DataStaff, Inc. is seeking a System Administrator for a long-term contract opportunity with one of our direct clients in Richmond, VA.
*This position is hybrid, 3 days per week will be onsite/2 days will be remote
- Design, install, administer, and optimize agency servers and related components to achieve high performance of the various agency applications supported by tuning the servers as necessary
- Manage and tune in-house computer software systems and network connections to ensure high levels of availability and security of the supported agency applications.
- Participates in the planning and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure system provisioning and maintenance that is consistent with agency goals, industry best practices, and regulatory requirements.
- Assist in overseeing the physical security, integrity, and safety of the data center/server farm.
Strategy & Planning
- Participate in and support capacity planning and the development of long-term strategic goals for systems, software, and enterprise solutions in conjunction with end-users and department managers.
- Develop strategies for client/server implementations; architect the infrastructure required to support those strategies.
- Act as project lead in the design and review of new server systems, applications, and hardware; conduct capacity planning as needed.
- Lead, coordinate and participate in key process improvements as they relate to the client/server environment.
- Coordinate and collaborate with network engineering, agency application, and database administration function to ensure availability, reliability, and scalability of agency servers to meet agency demands.
- Establish and implement policies, procedures, and technologies (including firewalls) to ensure server security.
- Assist in designing and implementing data center/server room security features, including HVAC control, environmental alarms, access restrictions, and so on.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Coordinate with end user support, network engineering, application development, and database administration functions to implement desktop and server systems that utilize industry best practices to meet agency objectives.
- Deploy servers, printers, scanners, firewalls, encryption systems, and all host security systems.
- Conduct research on server hardware, software, and protocols in support of procurement and development efforts.
- Manage all operating systems and end-user software.
- Manage communications (email, IM, etc…) and connection solutions, including workstation connectivity, local area networks, agency Web site, intranet, and Internet applications.
- Ensure the integrity and security of agency data on host computers, multiple databases, and during data transfer in accordance with agency needs and industry best practices regarding privacy, security, and regulatory compliance.
- Manage input/output fleet, including printers and scanners.
- Manage end user accounts, permissions, access rights, and storage allocations in accordance with best-practices regarding privacy, security, and regulatory compliance.
- Perform network and security audits.
- Perform and test routine system backups and restores.
- Anticipate, mitigate, identify, troubleshoot, and resolve hardware and software problems on servers, input/output fleet, and workstations. Escalate incidents as necessary.
- Practice network asset management, including maintenance of network component inventory and related documentation and technical specifications information.
- Support application development teams throughout project lifecycles.
- Analyze system, server, application, network, and input/output device performance.
- Recommend, schedule, and perform software and hardware improvements, upgrades, patches, reconfigurations, and/or purchases.
- Conduct research on emerging products, services, protocols, and standards in support of systems software procurement and development efforts.
- Create required reports in response to agency user needs.
- Participate in negotiations with vendors, outsourcers, and contractors to secure software products and services.
- Develop, document, and maintain policies, procedures and associated training plans for system administration and appropriate use.
- Manage and/or provide guidance to junior members of the team. Manages the OAG network and other system components (e.g., routers, switches, firewalls, load balancers, VPN) including installation, configuration, maintenance, security and troubleshooting.
- Check service desk database for entries on server and server resource issues; prioritize and respond to service desk tickets as appropriate.
- Serve as cornerstone for escalating server issues; provide timely response to customer escalations.
- Perform file system configuration and management; define and perform server backups and recovery procedures.
- Plan and implement server upgrades, maintenance fixes, and vendor-supplied patches.
- Provide Web administration support by overseeing and maintaining Web server functions, such as assuring logging and metrics data are stable.
- Monitor and test system performance and provide performance statistics and reports.
- Create shell scripts as required.
- Manage enterprise directory services and supporting server infrastructure.
- Define and implement strategies for integrating disparate operating environments.
- Recommend and execute modifications to server environment to improve efficiency, reliability, and performance.
- Develop and maintain training materials and server documentation.
- Serve as a backup for the Network Engineer on an as needed basis.
- Email Messaging System
- Perform all tasks necessary to fulfill service level agreements regarding messaging and collaboration availability and security, including those involving user accounts, shared folders/calendars, and mailing lists.
- Implement policies, procedures, and technologies to ensure security through secure access, monitoring, control, and routine security evaluations.
- Messaging filtering and error log tracking.
- Recommend, schedule, and perform software patches, upgrades, and/or purchases.
- Ensure that messaging implementations comply with policies, standards, licensing agreements, and configuration guidelines.
- Remain informed on laws, trends, and issues, including current and emerging technologies and best practices related to messaging.
- Perform message archiving, retrieval, and deletion according to best-practices for maintaining regulatory compliance.
- Anticipate, mitigate, identify, respond to, and resolve problems affecting messaging systems performance, efficiency, and availability.
- Provide on-call technical support for end users.
- Support application development teams and software migrations to new e-mail server platforms or newer versions of the email system.
- Monitor, test, and analyze e-mail system and server software activities to ensure maximum performance, efficiency, and availability.
- Assess need for any messaging system reconfigurations (minor or significant) and execute them if required.
- Create required reports in response to agency needs.
- Develop, implement, document, and maintain policies, procedures, and associated training plans for messaging system administration and appropriate use.
- College diploma or university degree in the field of computer science, business information technology, computer information systems, computer security and networking and/or 2 years equivalent work experience.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Adept at reading, writing, and interpreting technical documentation and procedure manuals.
- Ability to conduct research into hardware and software issues and products as required.
- Project management skills a definite asset.
- Strong understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Good written and oral communication skills; good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to conduct research into server issues and products as required.
- Ability to present ideas in agency-friendly and user-friendly language.
- Highly self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- 2 Years – Working technical knowledge of network, PC, and various server platform operating systems, roles, and services
- 2 Years – Working technical knowledge of current systems software, protocols, and standards, including firewalls
- 2 Years – Strong knowledge of patch management, change control practices and local area network administration
- 2 Years – Hands-on software and hardware troubleshooting experience
- 2 Years – Experience with data management
- 2 Years – Experience documenting and maintaining configuration and process information
- 2 Years – Proven experience with email messaging administration
- 2 Years – Working technical knowledge of current messaging and collaboration systems software, protocols, and standards
- 2 Years – Extensive support experience with various application architectures
- 2 Years – Previous exposure to server virtualization technologies
- 2 Years – Good understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives
- 2 Years – Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws
- 2 Years – Knowledge of industry best practices for e-mail privacy, regulatory compliance, routing, filtering, monitoring, tiered storage, backup, disaster rec.
- 2 Years – Experience with high-availability design (failover systems and data replication)
This opportunity is available as a W2 position with a competitive benefits package. DataStaff, Inc. offers medical, dental, and vision coverage options as well as paid vacation, sick, and holiday leave. As many of our opportunities are long-term, we also have a 401k program available for employees after 6 months.