Remote Windows Application Engineer
DataStaff, Inc is seeking a Remote Windows Application Engineer for a contract-to-hire opportunity with one of our direct clients.
This position will require compliance with any COVID-19 vaccination policies that are promulgated by DataStaff, Inc.’s client and/or federal, state, and local laws.
- Work closely with other innovative and savvy people to support and deploy scientific and business applications and expand application hosting capabilities with new tools and technologies.
- Help automate and streamline operations and processes, and further the adoption of DevOps best practices.
- We’ll want your opinion on operational processes, automated deployments, technology and tools, and more. A focus on always-up, always-available applications is a plus.
- Configuring and supporting day-to-day application management tasks, such as troubleshooting issues, deploying changes, installing and configuring new custom and third-party applications, remediating application security vulnerabilities, and optimizing performance settings.
- Monitoring the health of applications and responding to alerts, such as service down, failed backup, slow response time, or full file systems.
- Working closely with application owners and software engineers to identify requirements, plan, and implement projects, such as installing new custom applications with web services, database components, data hosting, and load balancing.
- Automating day-to-day processes and creating self-service capabilities to empower software developers and application owners to perform routine maintenance tasks such as renewing TLS certificates, changing service account passwords, and rebooting application servers.
- Researching and recommending innovative approaches for application hosting to modernize our customers hosting environment and speed up time to deliver.
- Documenting day-to-day administrative processes and configuration information about our customers applications.
- After hours and weekend work may occasionally be required for pre-planned maintenance or for troubleshooting service-impacting outages.
- BA/BS or equivalent and five years related experience
- Experience managing and configuring Windows applications using F5 BigIP application delivery services such as load balancing, advanced web application firewalls (AWAF), and access policy manager (APM)
- Experience developing and implementing continuous integration and continuous deployment (CI/CD) pipelines to deploy infrastructure and applications using tools such as Jenkins, Azure DevOps, or GitHub Actions
- Experience creating, applying and troubleshooting TLS or SSL certificates for web servers, such as IIS, Tomcat, Apache, or nginx
- Experience with access and authentication technologies, such as LDAP, SimpleSAML, or Kerberos
- Experience designing and implementing technologies following NIST standards, such as SP 800-53, SP 800-190, and SP 500-291
- Strong scripting experience with PowerShell, Python, Bash, Java, or Ruby
- Experience analyzing solutions components, understanding systems integration challenges, and identifying technology gaps in current components that must be resolved to reach future performance targets and functionality requirements
- Able to clearly present ideas to both technical and non-technical users and staff to further the adoption of DevOps
- Ability to get and maintain a Public Trust security clearance level
- Experience with infrastructure as code and automation/configuration management using either Terraform and AWS Cloud Formation or Chef, Puppet, and Ansible to define infrastructure standards and deploy services
- Experience with commonly used services, such as AWS EC2, S3, Route 53, RDS, and IAM
- Experience breaking down monolithic applications into microservices and Docker containers
- Experience installing, maintaining, and troubleshooting applications on MS IIS v7.5, v8.5 and v10
- Experience managing and configuring content management systems, such as Moodle or Drupal 7.x & 8.x, and data visualization platforms, such as Tableau, or commercial software to support scientific research such as FreezerPro or REES Centron Presidio
This opportunity is available as a W2 position with a competitive benefits package. DataStaff, Inc. offers medical, dental and vision coverage options as well as paid vacation, sick and holiday leave. As many of our opportunities are long-term, we also have a 401K program available for employees after 6 months